Friday, July 12, 2013

Victory!!!

I've decided to consider today's happenings a victory.  Funny how the smallest bit of good news can go a LONG way, especially when its sandwiched between some not-so-great news.

The HSG test showed that my tubes are both open and are now super ready for "visitors".  The doctor said the test alone helps to open you up and gets things flowing, and actually gives you a 20% better chance of pregnancy 1-2 months after.  We're hoping for 1.  OBVIOUSLY! :P

The procedure itself was totally painless.  I got a little light headed after he numbed me, but it subsided shortly and I was completely fine--even when the machine shut down during the middle of the test.  I was worried we were going to have to start all over, but all it meant was that we had to wait a few minutes for it to restart.

After the test, however, was a completely different story.  I had the worst stomach cramps and I could not seem to relax, which only made the cramping worse.  When I get cramps, they are usually in my back, so this was a whole other type of pain than I am used to.  I started to feel nauseous and dizzy and when the nurse brought me advil and water, she commented on how much my hands were shaking.  Until then, I figured it was only in my head.  When the doctor came back in to check on me he made me lay back down (I was sitting up) because he said I had lost all the color in my face.  Good thing he commented on how tan I was when he first walked in, otherwise it may have gone unnoticed.  1 point, sun exposure.  I was literally in so much pain that all I wanted was my husband.  I had been convinced the procedure was going to be easy, and since it was scheduled for 1 pm, I told him he didn't need to come.  -1 point, me.  I ended up calling him around 2:45 and asking him if he could come get me.  I could not fathom getting up and driving home.  I know he got there rather quickly (20 minutes or so) but it seemed like forever.  +346,988 points for Mr. Desperate. 

The good thing was that the doctor came back to check on me after Mr. Desperate arrived and he sat down and talked to both of us for a long time.  The pain was bearable at this point, but he felt really bad for me, so he shot me up with some pain reliever.  I was pretty sure I'd be okay without it, but he said he didn't want me to leave without knowing that in an hour or less, I would be back to normal.  1 point, doctor.  He then took a picture with me to show his son (my former student) when he went home.  I can't imagine how he's going to explain why he saw me!

On the not so great side, they did an ultrasound of my thyroid.  When I met with Midwife Mom the other day she felt a nodule on the left side of my thyroid.  The ultrasound today showed that it is 1.6 cm, and anything over 1 cm needs to be biopsied.  -1 point, needles in my neck.  Doctor Dad told me not to worry about it and assured me that if I needed to worry, he would tell me.

The only other potential issue he saw was something in my uterus.  He wasn't sure what it was and thought it might be a polyp, or nothing at all.  His advice was that if we don't get pregnant this cycle, to skip next month and have a hysteroscopy to see if what he saw was still there and needed to be further addressed.  He also said not to worry too much about that right now.

The best part of the whole appointment was that as worried as I was about being completely exposed to someone I know, it was not an issue at all.  So now, question #1 is... do I switch to this practice??  My OB/GYN no longer delivers babies.  I have been going to her for the past 8 years and I love how thorough she is.  But, I'm going to need to see a different doctor anyways, so maybe this is the time to switch?  I know several people who go to Doctor Dad and him having a more personal relationship with me definitely helps.

Question #2 is... do I have my fertility doctor's office do my next IUI (in a few days.... my largest, and seemingly only large, follicle was 16 mm today; follicle check is Sunday AM) where a nurse will perform the procedure, or have Doctor Dad do it?  He is anti back-to-back IUIs, and says studies show that there is not much of an increase by doing it twice in one cycle.  He said your odds are just as good if you do IUI on day 1 and have sex the next day or days.  Oh, and he also refuses to take my money.  Added bonus, but I don't want him to think that's the only reason I'm going to him.  Nor do I want that to be the only reason I'm going to him.  He said he would charge my for the "materials" and that's it, which clearly beats the $409 at the fertility doctor.

Decisions, decisions... and as usual, I have only a few days to sort through my thoughts, come up with a list of questions to ask Doctor Dad, and come to a decision.

Oh, and I'm going to try acupuncture.  Midwife Mom recommended it, and I don't see how it could hurt!

2 comments:

  1. Well, your HSG experience was totally different than mine. For me, it was super painful during the exam, but as soon as we were done I felt fine. As far as which doctor, sounds to me like if I were in your shoes I would stick with Doctor Dad. He's working with you on the cost, and it sounds like he is being completely honest with you about the back to back IUI's. In my opinion, the IUI's don't give you that much of a better chance to justify spending the money on paying for two. I'd say one IUI and TI around that would be just right. Oh, and great news about the HSG being all clear. Sounds like you are well on your way to figuring out what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think better to switch now than later for a better consistency of care. Plus he sounds awesome :) Can't wait to hear about acupuncture!

    ReplyDelete