Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Jumping the Gun?

I decided to do something last week that I have been putting off since September.  One of my students this year has not one but TWO parents that are doctors.  And by doctors, I mean the dad is an OB/GYN and the mom is a Certified Nurse Midwife/Nurse Practitioner.  As their child's teacher I felt that it was completely crossing the line to ask them medical questions, or even to talk to them remotely about anything that was not related to their child's success in my classroom.

When my husband and I first met with our RE, she mentioned the HSG test as a possible "down the line" test and said that it's both painful and expensive and she tries to not to use that as her first line of treatment.  Since I wasn't ovulating on my own, we assumed that was the problem and when she recommended the IUI, we felt that it was our best chance.  However, after my failed IUI, I began researching about whether IUIs or HSG tests should come first.  Of course, I found evidence to back up both points of view.

So, I decided to email the mom and ask if they refer patients to my doctor, or who else she could recommend, extremely hopeful that she would take a personal interest and want to help me.  THANK GOODNESS she did!  She was extremely helpful and sent me emails back and forth all day, and even looked up codes for me to call my insurance with! 

My doctor's office doesn't do the HSG test, but this office does, so I am going tomorrow for a consultation with "the mom".  I'm definitely weirded out by the idea of someone I know examining me, but she also told me in one of her emails that my OB/GYN is no longer delivering babies.  So that would mean that somewhere down the line I would seeing someone new... soooo why not make that new person a familiar person, right?? 

I'm going in for the HSG test Friday with "the dad" (she can't do the test since she's not a doctor) which I am very nervous about (both the procedure and by him performing it!)  There is another female doctor in the office, that the mom actually scheduled my appointment with, but I would have someone who knows me (no matter how weird I find the situation) than someone who doesn't!

I read somewhere that no one cares more about you getting pregnant that you, and since I *only* have 5 more weeks of summer vacation, adding additional doctor's appointments to my schedule is really no big deal (excluding the bills, of course).

I stupidly decided to watch YouTube videos where people shared their experiences with HSG tests and I think I heard the worst possible scenario, so I am just trying to prepare myself for that possibility.  I was also really nervous about being in pain during the IUI, and that turned out to be nothing, so I am hoping the HSG test turns out like that.  And if not, I only have to do it once!


8 comments:

  1. Hi! I have done the HSG test and I highly recommend it! I am starting to realize that I have a high pain thresh hold so keep that in mind but the HSG test was just about as easy as the IUI. It is super cool to see the dye being circulated around...my Dr. had a big screen so I could see it. Very relieving to see it go through the fallopian tubes! The only part that most people find uncomfortable is the numbing shot on the cervix (I could kind of feel a sting but really not bad at all) and then at one point in the test they pull on your uterus. I could kind of feel it and I felt the slightest bit of crampy feeling but again so not bad! I did have significant bleeding afterward and had to wear a pad (they wont let you use a tampon) for about 2 days. I maybe was a tad bit crampy but compared to my normal AF cramps it was an absolute breeze! I say do it and get it over with...it will hopefully give you more info about what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info--and glad to hear that your HSG showed only positive news (most online posts are about negative news)!

      I claim that I have a high tolerance to pain, so we'll see how true that is tomorrow! When I met with "the mom" yesterday she told me she had one done and it was somewhat painful because one of her tubes is blocked. I'm more nervous about being relaxed because I'm going from having a professional relationship to being completely exposed to one of my former students' dad! And they told me there isn't enough room for my husband to be with me during the procedure, so he won't even be there!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that is super weird and uncomfortable! I teach dance to little kids so I can imagine what that would be like...NO THANKS! There isn't anyone else you could go to? I can't imagine it's not going to be weird for him too! Sorry, I'm sure this isn't making you feel better, lol!

      Delete
  2. Best of luck to you! I'm so glad they were so willing to help you!

    By the way, I'm not sure you got my reply comment on my blog but I said if you wanted to join the FB support group just email me and I can forward your email to the admin of the group and she can add you. :)

    Best of luck! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! "The mom" was really nice and easy to talk to about it all yesterday. It helped that she shared what she went through with her 3 kids, so now I feel like I know some of her secrets too. :)

      I didn't see your reply (until now... I just went back to that post and saw your response). I'm definitely still in the "wanting to be anonymous about all of this" phase, so for now I am going to wait to join the FB group. As soon as I change my mind, I will definitely email you!

      Delete
    2. I totally understand. I also want to be somewhat "anonymous". My family doesn't know. The good thing about the group is that it's a "secret" group, so none of your FB friends will ever see what you post or that you're even in a group. Whenever you feel up to it, these ladies are amazing and we'll accept you with open arms!! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I'm just starting out on this terrifying IF path and worried about all the tests and everything. But with all the fabulously fierce ladies I follow sharing their experiences, it makes me feel stronger. Hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you hit the nail on the head. This is the most terrified I've ever been in my life. And I had a panic attack while descending down the narrow, winding paths of an 1,800 foot mountain that I was positive I was going to fall off the edge of.

    Starting my blog really helped me to voice what I feel without feeling like a terrible person, and it has helped me to get rid of the desire that wants to scream, "I JUST WANT TO HAVE A BABY!!" out of frustration at the top of my lungs every time I go to a doctor's appointment!

    ReplyDelete